How can we better leverage the actions of governments, industry, and civil society to conserve biodiversity in Canada?
The Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development will release his Fall 2013 report evaluating Canada’s biodiversity conservation programs on November 5th. Building on this report, please join us for a discussion about how we can better work together to achieve shared biodiversity conservation goals, across species, landscapes, agencies and sectors of society.
Hosted by CPAWS, the Canadian Wildlife Federation and the Institute of the Environment.
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
8:30AM to 12:15
Registration opens at 8AM
Desmarais Hall, Room 12102, University of Ottawa
This half day seminar will include:
- Environment Commissioner Neil Maxwell and study leaders presenting the Fall 2013 Report of the Commissioner evaluating many of Canada’s key federal biodiversity conservation responsibilities and programs
- What the Commissioner's findings mean for Canada’s future conservation efforts: Delivered by Avrim Lazar, Consultant and former CEO of the Forest Products Association of Canada.
- A lively panel discussion among experts from industry, academia, First Nations, and conservation organizations examining how, together, we can better conserve nature in Canada, featuring:
- International perspective, Nik Lopoukhine, former Chair, World Commission on Protected Areas, IUCN
- Academic perspective, Andy Gonzalez, Canada Research Chair in Biodiversity Science, Professor, McGill University
- Indigenous perspective, John Cutfeet, Anishinini'ow Niipii'ow Anokiinakun (Aboriginal Watershed Program Coordinator), CPAWS Wildlands League
- Law and policy perspective, Stewart Elgie, Director, Institute of the Environment and Professor of Law, University of Ottawa
- Industry perspective, Sandra Schwartz, Vice President, External Relations and Communications, Canadian Electricity Association
- NGO perspective, Alison Woodley, National Director, Parks Program, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS)
- A moderated discussion about the Commissioner’s findings and what they mean
Download the agenda.
Read the Fall 2013 Commissioner's Report online.
Registration for the event is now full.
Files related to the event.
Letter of recommendations from NGOs and Industry regarding the Species at Risk Act, September 2013.
Presentations and video will be posted soon!